Monday, December 7, 2009

The blessings of service and a very good man.

No pictures with this post, just thoughts....

Last Friday, December 5th, the High Council of the Grantsville Utah Stake had a dinner and caroling activity. Jeff was assigned to bring a main dish, and after much deliberation we decided to take a Korean dish of marinated meat called: Pulgogi. It is delicious and since we haven't made any for a long time I was really looking forward to the feast. However we had a small scheduling conflict that night and so I ran to Salt Lake for Stephanie Clayton's wedding reception and then went to the activity late. I had told Jeff to save me some meat since my taste buds had been salavating all day long. He thought there would be no need, we brought enough, or so he thought. Luckily for me Bro. Casey Killian, also a RM from Korea had the same idea as me. He brought pulgogi but even better than that is he brought some cucumber kimchi to go with it. Now that was heaven! So I was able to enjoy the Korean feast made that much better by the fact that there was kimchi and seaweed to eat too. I can't even tell you how yummy it was and how many memories flooded my memory bank from days spent in the mission field. It was all so good.

We then went caroling to some of the members of the stake who are either suffering from age, health, or loneliness. May I share with you two experiences from this night of joy?!?! We had gone to a home of an older widow who lost her husband earlier this year, but unknown to us she had moved. Well when 10 cars all pull up in front of your home, one might open the door to inquire what was going on. This poor unsuspecting new resident was thrilled to have us sing to her. From what I understand, she isn't a member of the church and has no interest in any part of it, but was accepting and even eager to share the Christmas Spirit with us and all of her family. She called all of them to come out on the porch and listen to us. It was a great time and hopefully a true opportunity to become "brothers and sisters in Christ".

My second story is approached with tenderness and meekness as there are feelings very close to the surface for those directly involved. We had the privileged and opportunity to go to the home of Robin and Annette Baird. As those of you close to the Grantsville community know, Robin is battling cancer and his fight seems to be getting harder to win.

I just wanted to honor this man. Ever since I have known him, he has been involved with girl's softball. Teaching many young girls the skills necessary to play the game well and to "compete" in life. Skills that coaches so generously teach by sacrificing their time. He was always so supportive of my daughters while they were playing softball even though he never actually coached either of them. But Robin did more than just influence girl's in softball, he was an entrepreneur, he was friendly, and showed his friendship to all. An example of this....He would wave to me as he would pass by while I was out walking and he was driving by early in the mornings on his way to work. Always with a friendly wave and smile.

I am privileged to call him friend, even though I am no more than an acquaintance from the community. As he fights this final fight, I hope his family may be comforted with an understanding of God's love for each of them. I have no words of comfort to offer, just an appreciation for a life well lived, for a heart that has been deeply touched. Thank you Robin, you have made an impact on my family and a community that will not soon forget what you have done. God bless you and your family.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Teresa. I'm sure glad you blog. I told Kevin as I was logging on that I would quit blogging if no one had posted anything new. So when I got on and saw your new post I had a new hope! :) I just want to second what you wrote about Robin. He means a lot to me because of what he has done for Annie and her self esteem. This is a man who has always been in the background of the things that we have done, whether it be softball, school musicals, football games or good food. When Kevin and I got engaged Robin called me out of the blue to congratulate us. It wasn't my grandma, it wasn't my distant cousins, it was my softball coach from when I was 10. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for him and that he has completed his mission on this earth. Thanks for the post. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to eat some Pulgogi and still make it to Steph's reception. It was fun to see you there. One girl I was talking to there said that she forgot to bring the garter to her reception and it reminded me of how I forgot too and you ran and got it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pulgogi! My mom got the recipe from you a long time ago. She has not made it for years!! Yum, now I want some. Great stories. Thanks for sharing such a great night with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling the Spirit during Christmas time is so special. I reminds us to remember the tender mercies of friendship, courage and the power of example. You are a good example for me and I love you! Lan

    ReplyDelete