Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Strength of a Family


In this picture:
Back row; Dewey, Jeremy, Ethan, Stephen, Andrew, Front row; Grant, Richie, Bryce


Jeff and I have lived in close proximity to his family most, if not all of our married life. There could be some negative things associated with such closeness, but when the trials of life come upon us, it is with great certainty that I am grateful for that closeness!

I grew up in a medium size family, 3 siblings, but I had a pretty large extended family. Now the sad thing is, my Aunt and Uncle lived in the very same stake as I do,(before the stake was divided, they now live in the new Stansbury South Stake) and I didn't even know it. I know that if I walked passed most of my cousins I would not even be able to recognize them. I have missed out on a lot of fun memories with extended family since both my Grandparents and my mother have passed on, and thus widening the communication gap in the generations.

So what does that have to do with living close to Jeff's family......

growing up in such close proximity my childrens best friends, in many cases, are there cousins. They know them. They know about their lives and who they are and what they like and dislike. I love this about Jeff's family. We are close and those bands of closeness were tightened this week while we all experienced the loss of the patriarch of the family.

It is hard to loose a parent. They are the one constant in our lives. They have known us since the beginning. They are our first memories, and strongest memories. They have been there through it all, all of our ups and downs, joys and sorrows, pleasures and pain. So when they are gone, it can be hard to say farewell.

Grandpa always said that he wanted to be buried in a pine box out back by the barn. They got him as close to that as they could. He was buried in a pine casket with a barn embroidered in the fabric. Rest in peace, Grandpa!Aunt Tracey made this floral arrangement to honor Grandpa. It has some of his old tools that she got from his workshop and the sign says..."the priveledge to work is a gift, power to work is a blessing, love to work is success." An appropriate sign and saying for Grandpa.

Let me just say that I am grateful to be a part of this family! Thank you for accepting me and loving me. For making me feel like a daughter and not an appendage to the family. I love you all.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute to Grant! He was a great man, always kind and hard working. I know you will all miss him very much. Lani

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a neat post. I agree, family is such an amazing blessing. To live so close is a wonderful experience! I hope to live close to mine someday soon! I am sorry to hear for your loss. Your strong testimony is such a good example!

    ReplyDelete